Best Compound Miter Saw Reviews & Guide 2016
One tool that is versatile as well as handy is the compound miter saw. If you are looking for a woodworking machine a compound miter saw is the best. It cuts wood to frame cabinet or furniture parts, make doors and windows or crown molding. A compound miter can help you make a perfect crosscut, a cut at 90 degrees as well as a miter cut, angled as you need. It is the best tool to hold for all your DIY activities that are related to woodwork. There are many tools that cut wood, however, a miter saw is the one that gives a precise cut. A stable arm helps to achieve accurate and precise cuts just as expected.
Every tool has some limitations and a compound miter certainly does. It cannot wade through lumber. A wide stock can be difficult too. Adding sliding arms to the miter saw can help to sort it out. To chop wood like an expert, a compound miter saw is a must
Choosing the best compound miter saw can be an overwhelming task. With so many brands in the market with a lot of features, it can be tricky to get the one that suits you best. For expert cuts, today, the saws also have the option to have built in laser for more precision. A little research about a few saws will help you shortlist what you want. Our guideline here will help you make an informed choice.
Types Of Compound Miter Saw
The first thing to consider while buying a compound saw is its types. They are broadly classified based upon the bevel as single or dual. They could also be sliding, portable and cordless. Each type has distinctive pros and cons.
- Single Bevel Compound Miter or Left Swing saw - This is the basic type of compound saw where one can make accurate and precise cuts as required. The arm of the saw swings only on the left side.
- Dual Bevel Compound Miter or Left and right swing saw - If the arms of the saw can move in the right as well as the left side simultaneously, it is called as a dual bevel saw. They are a bit difficult to operate. It works best for people who use the tool often.
- Sliding Compound Miter Saw - are also called as a heavy-duty compound miter. They are similar in features as the compound miter saw, but they have a sliding arm. This is very helpful for making wider cuts. This is considered as the most versatile compound miter. The only drawback is that it is very expensive compared to the other types. However, it is the favorite tool of professional people who use the tool very often.
- Portable Cordless Compound Miter - They are handy and portable saws. They suit best for people on the go. It is considered as a feature of the miter saw as these can be any of the types - Single bevel, dual bevel or sliding miter saw.
Different Types Of Best Compound Miter Saw
As aforementioned, there are numerous miter saws in the market that will offer you amazing service and quality of work. Below are some of the best miter saws ever made. Read through their different features and select one that will satisfy your every need
DEWALT DW715 Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Dewalt DW715 is a 12 inch compound miter saw which is supported by strong and reliable 15 amp rotors that offer a quick speed of about 4000 rpms. This makes tasks of cross cutting, molding, miter and frame cutting to be extremely easy and fast.
The design is diverse from other DEWALT models. This model has a sturdy design which allows it to deliver a flexible setup having optimum correctness for several applications.
It also has adaptable stainless steel plates which offer 11 positive stop.In addition, the model has basic an adaptable lock miter handle which convey precise and fast miter angle so as to allow detent override.The saw has a lengthy fence that support 5-1/4 inch crown nested upright in addition to a 6-1/2 inch base molding that is set upright.
448+ CUSTOMER REVIEWS
DEWALT DW716 Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
This is a 12-inch compound miter saw is smooth, well-built, user-friendly and precise. It also stands out among the 12 inches compound miter saws because of its capacity; its back fence designs enable it to crosscut a 2 by 10 pieces of lumber at ninety degrees and a 2 by 8 at forty five degrees in a single pass.
Its vertical capacity is also good. The high sliding fence allows you to use this saw for baseboard up to 6.5 inches and nested crown moldings as high as 6 inches.
The DEWALT DW716 is adjustable thus enabling one to see the cutting paths better.The 12-inch blades on the DEWALT DW716 are designed for making perfect cuts. No person wants a piece of trim having angles that are off. The blades are belt driven thus making its startup to be much smoother with little noise or vibration.
174+ CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Hitachi C10FCE2 Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Sometimes you can just tell that you bought a great product just by your experience. This saw and the accessories which come together with it are pretty. You can assemble the accessories within a few minutes.
Hitachi is well recognized for its great excellence tools and C10FCE2 is not an exception. The anti-vibration handle is great addition to the general designs of this products. The motor packs a lot of power it takes a reasonable time to get used up.
This tool produces a power output of 15 AMP.This saw also delivers standard basic accurate cuts that make it one of the best compound miter saws available in the market today.
911+ CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Hitachi C10FCH2 Single-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
The HITACHI C10FCH2 miter saw provides a variety of smooth, clean cuts with cautious accuracy. Its universal workplace allows for maximum maneuverability while the thumb actuator makes it easy for one to create adjustments.
It is an easily moveable and light tool. The Hitachi C10FCH2 Miter Saw with Lasers offers strong control and exact alignments in an expert grade tool.The HITACHI C10FCH2 has a powerful motor which enables you to work faster.
The functioning of its motor is also simple and so it does not create sounds which can disturb others. You can therefore do your routine wood works with ease and comfort. This saw is light thus you can easily hold it while performing your wood works.The carbide tipped blades have polycarbonate protection so as to give you fine cuts of different sizes and shapes.
911+ CUSTOMER REVIEWS
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A MITER SAW
When it comes to choosing the best compound miter saw, many people might fail at picking out the best one suited for them. Apart from the different types, there are also a lot more to consider before buying.
Always, reading reviews about the miter saw is a good idea as it would give an idea if the tool is trusted. Here are a few helpful pointers that guide you to make the best choice
- Application – Always think before you buy. Thinking on how often you would use and the purpose of buying helps a lot in short listing the saw. This is the most important factor to consider while you buy a saw.
- Blade – The blade is the most important part of any miter saw. It determines the cutting capacity of the miter saw. The diameter of the blade decides the height or depth of the cut. More intentions or teeth in the blade give finer cut. Usually, blades come in 8, 10 or 12-inch size.
- The Mitre and the Bevel – The miter saw is basically used for angled cuts. The type of the tool must be considered before buying. It is usually adjusted to 45 degrees for a right-angled joint. A single bevel or a double bevel must be considered depending upon the need. For example for crown molding or furniture making, a double bevel is the best choice as it would let the saw tilt left and right.
- Slide – The slide in the compound miter saw will help in cutting wood of greater width. Similar to the blade size, the slide also helps to decide the capacity of the saw. For example, if you are going to cut wood for fencing, a bigger blade with more capacity is required. A sliding miter saw is a perfect choice to make.
- Motor – The speed of the motor will help to decide the power of the miter. For regular use, a saw with highest motor power is better. It usually varies between 10 to 15 amp.
- Comfortable handle – It is very important that the handle feels comfortable for you. If you are planning to buy the tool online, a trip to the local retailer is much appreciated as it will give a good test run before you buy. Also, while working, the handle absorbs a lot of vibration.
- Dust Collector – A dust collector is an ideal addition for any saw. Apart from keeping the station clean, the dust collector also protects the saw. If you work in a confined area, it is best to use a dust extractor or vacuum too.
Today, compound miter comes with a lot of new age features. Some of these features are not essential. It just makes using the tool easier. The following are some features to consider:
- Laser guidance – A small red beam of laser lines help in marking the areas the blade cuts. It is very useful for people who try using the tool for the first time.
- Electric Brake – A very useful feature if you are not a professional. It reduces the risk of accidents
- Variable speed dial – It helps to adjust the speed of the motor depending upon the material that is cut.
- Lights – These are very useful to work on dim-lit areas.
- Extension arms and clamps – They help to support your work surface and keep your hands free.
Helpful Pointers For Usage And Maintenance
The most crucial factor while working with a miter saw is being safe and cautious every time. It could be an extremely dangerous tool if handled carelessly. It is very important to check if the blade is fixed properly before using the tool.
Always, study the instruction manual before starting to use the tool as it will have important information about the tool. Also, before using it for the first time, it is advisable to hold the tool for some time to get the grip of the handle. It is critical to know how each feature works before working with it
Cleaning after each and every use makes the tool more durable. It is good to remove dust and debris collected inside the tool after use. Always seek professional help if the tool does not seem to work perfectly. Be cautious if the tool gets over-heated, has increased vibration or if the tool emits strange sounds.
Here is a step by step process to clean the tool:
Even though they are expensive, compound miter saw are very practical and handy for any projects. Consider buying the tool based on the quality as it would be a great risk to buy a low-quality saw. If you often do woodwork or a lot of DIY projects for home improvement, a compound miter saw is a must to have. Choose the tool according to your budget and your need for best results.
Finally, clean the tool after every use. It is a very important thing to keep the tool as fresh as new. Safeguard the tool from regular wear and tear with more time and use. Also, always have an eye on the power cords as they are very important to use the tool safely. Optimal performance is integral for every power tool in use.
Some Question You Got, We have Got Answer For that
Infographics that will help you to choose best compound miter saw